Hazard Management Software
One of the first essential steps in workplace health and safety is a comprehensive risk assessment. A significant element of that is identifying the hazards that exist or may potentially occur. After that, it’s a matter of dealing with those hazards by either eliminating them or minimising the risks that arise from them.
Hazard Management Difficulties & How LinkSafe Can Help
It all sounds relatively simple but, in fact, hazard prevention is a complex process that requires all hazards to be identified and recorded, all actions taken to be logged and monitored, and all affected personnel to be kept fully informed. That’s historically been handled by manual records that gave huge difficulties in administration, then later by spreadsheets and email messages that are better but still require a lot of manual intervention and are prone to error.
Hazard Management Software — LinkSafe’s Solution To The Problem
Hazard management in Australia has to be conducted in accordance with national and state legislation as well as being there to protect workers. It generally involves four steps and the LinkSafe hazard management tool simplifies these steps:
- Identify Hazards. Health and safety is the responsibility of all employees so it is up to everyone to identify and report hazards that exist in the workplace. Whilst management has ultimate control, LinkSafe’s software allows access to all authorised personnel who can log any potential hazard they find. This ensures that hazards are less likely to be missed and acted upon.
- Assess the risk. All businesses have to take reasonably practical steps to manage risks caused by hazards. If the risk is very low and the cost of dealing with it is disproportionately high, no action may be necessary but at least the details of the assessment must be recorded to prove the hazard has not been overlooked.
- Manage the risk. Whenever reasonably possible, the hazard should be eliminated but, if not, the risk associated with it needs to be minimised and the methods documented and circulated. If elimination means substituting with something less hazardous, this also needs to be assessed and managed.
- When a hazard is minimised rather than eliminated, the success of its management needs to be monitored. This may involve regular health checks for those workers exposed to the hazard and our software ensures that these checks aren’t missed and that the results are recorded.
Comprehensive Cover Through Hazard Management Systems
Using our hazards management software as part of your workplace health and safety procedures, you’ll ensure that:
- all workplace hazards can be recorded as they are identified, assessed and managed
- all affected people can access all relevant information
- notifications are sent out automatically, so everyone is aware of the situation and their responsibilities
- everything is recorded so you have complete documentary evidence of how you have dealt with every hazard.
You might also be interested in reading more about hazards in aged care and about our staff safety induction software. LinkSafe helps you to keep your workplace safe and at the same time avoids the possibility of heavy penalties that result from a failure to deal properly with hazards. Not only our hazard management system ensures you do the right things but also give you the ability to prove you have done so and all with the minimum of error-prone and tedious manual intervention.